[nycphp-talk] NYC Freelance rates

Bradley Baumann bradley at bestweb.net
Mon Jan 20 12:44:24 EST 2003

Sterling,

    I think that "unprofessional" was a bad word to have chosen, I believe
that the phrase I was looking for was "the amount you charge is a direct
reflection of your working skill / ability."
    If you're hiring a big-shot that knows his/her stuff, doesn't screw
around, and write innovative, well commented and well thought-out code --
They're going to charge you for it. You will -not- find one of those people
charging $10/hr. You're going to find them charging you $90+/hr. It's common
sense in the business-world (and any other world you're living in) to charge
more for better services.
    If someone charges you $10/hr -- it's a job you want to turn down
(unless you're a beginner). If you know the people, and want to help them
out or be friendly, that's a -completely- different story. If it's a
professional relationship, and they are offering you an obscenely low
amount, I would deny it. It's almost insulting. If I were to take the job, I
would not give them everything that a client giving me $90+/hr would be
getting.

-Bradley Baumann