[nycphp-talk] PHP Application Building Blocks

Jaz-Michael King JMKing at ipro.org
Tue Jan 21 13:25:28 EST 2003

the oermissions system's lowest rung is member, they have no access to the cms but they can view pages assigned a "member" status - there are groups and users, but it's just the architecture, you'll need to make the various modules. maybe some already done in dev, check the group in yahoo.

comments / personalization isn't built-in, but it's easy enough to add.

I picked sitellite out of about 10 packages for a few vaguely remembered reasons: here's what I can drag out ofmemory

most cms I use make it impossible to refine the layout beyond three columns lots of boxes, this one is way more open
no redundant code (that I could find)
the site was federal money, so needed to be section 508 compliant, this one seemd to be the most 508 capable
code was extremely well documented within the code, well laid out, obvious attention to detail within
the product seemed young enough to not yet have a bunch of feature creep and code bloat all over it (which was true)
not free, but not expensive - I wanted to pay *something*. I haven't yet, though, no matter how hard I try.
xhtml / css ready

thats what I can remember at least

******************************
Jaz-Michael King
Online Services Manager
IPRO
http://ipro.org
******************************

>>> "Ophir Prusak" <ophir at prusak.com> 01/21/03 12:58PM >>>
It looks pretty good for cms stuff.
My biggest concern is that the site I'm making is very user centric.
Users will be able to register / add comments / vote / etc.
Does sitellite already have user authentication / group management stuff it
in ? (not the site editors themselves).
If not do u think it would be hard to add it ?

Also - I'm wondering why u picked sitellite (and not the tons of other
packages).

Again, thanx for your time,
Ophir