[nycphp-talk] Cookie Based Stats

Andrew M. Yochum andrew at digitalpulp.com
Tue Jan 21 15:01:44 EST 2003

Hmm... are you looking for clickstream analysis (watching users' paths through
the site)?  If that is your goal then this bit might help...

What I've done is added the storage of cookies in the apache log format.  This
in conjunction with cookie-based php sessions (or your own custom cookie based
sessions) will allow you to do clickstream analysis.  If you don't use sessions,
I believe the Apache mod_usertrack module will give you a similar result.

Here's an example from my httpd.conf file for the log format that includes
cookies:
    LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \\"%r\\" %>s %b \\"%{Referer}i\\" \\"%{User-Agent}i\\" \\"%{Cookie}i\\"" combinedcookie
...which adds \\"%{Cookie}i\\" to log the stock combined log format.

Then you need a log analysis tool that knows how to use that cookie data to
track the user's path through your site, and that is where my experience ends,
as I've only done the setup and left the rest up to clients.  I believe
WebTrends does such things, but costs $$$ ...

Regards,
Andrew