[nycphp-talk] NYC Freelance rates

Brent Baisley brent at landover.com
Wed Jan 22 10:40:15 EST 2003

You've gotten a lot of could advice on this tough question. There are a
lot of people with poor programming practices who are very confident and
charge very little. I can't tell you how many MS Access based systems
I've replaced. Not that Access is bad, it just seems the wizards were
used to create the systems.

What I tend to do is put a cap on the hours I will charge or even offer
a flat fee. Most of the $20 hour people aren't willing to do that, or if
they do, will hit the cap and drop the project. Of course, this requires
a well defined project scope which can be tough to do when people don't
know what they want. But if you can strictly define the scope, you can
also provide a completion date up front. The client needs to be able to
compare the proposals and see that yours is much more complete than the
low baller's.

I always make sure I "give" them something. Initial analysis is free is
they grant the project to me, otherwise I charge them an analysis rate.
I submit $0.00 invoices for things I do outside the scope of the
project, like troubleshooting a printing problem for a user. If this
happens a lot, you can start charging them. At the very least you show
them your other talents.

I picked up a number of clients who have me come in on a regular basis
for preventive maintenance. In one sense I am one of those $20/hour
people, but that's what I charge for updating virus definitions.

--
Brent Baisley
Systems Architect