[nycphp-talk] Apache/PHP Authentication - Again

Chris Snyder chris at psydeshow.org
Fri Jan 31 09:54:21 EST 2003

Griffith Feeney wrote:

>The approach suggested in
>http://www.zend.com/zend/trick/tricks-august-2001.php (put the files
>outside the document root and use PHP to read them, supply headers, and
>forward) will work, but it would be much simpler to be able to password
>protect all files in any specified set of directories using Apache
>htaccess. The problem with this is updating the user list, which is large
>and in MySQL. The web hosting service doesn't support mod_auth_mysql.

This is probably off-topic since it sounds like you've decided on an
.htaccess solution, but I have a project called Fiatlux
(http://chxo.com/berylium/software/fiatlux/ ) that creates
password-protected fileshares using PHP.

It currently uses a flat file user database, but could easily be
extended to incorporate MySQL.

    chris.