[nycphp-talk] Way to simulate slow connection on localhost?

Winston Churchill-Joell winston at xylophage.com
Sun Jul 13 23:33:00 EDT 2003

Hi guys,

This may be in danger of going OT, but I'm looking for a possible PHP
solution to a frustration I run across when developing in Flash.
Without going into a long and drawn out tirade about the shortcomings
of Flash's testing environment, what I'm looking for is a more
authentic simulation of making an HTTP request to the server. And of
course, what better way to do this than on my local apache server? Of
course, in order to properly test preloaders and whatnot I need to
simulate a slow connection, like 56k dialup, for instance.

So, is there a way to use PHP to slow down the execution of a specific
page on my local machine? For those of you familiar with Flash, I am
aware of Flash's capability of doing this, but the testing environment
does not support bandwidth simulation for externally loaded movies,
which is why I'm looking for a different solution.

I'm running Apache 1.3.26 and PHP 4.2.3 on Jaguar (Mac OS 10.2.6)

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Winston