[nycphp-talk] pre MySQL upgrade sanity check

David Mintz dmintz at panix.com
Wed Jul 16 13:46:30 EDT 2003

stupid me, I think I accidentally sent this to an individual instead of
to the list, it went something like this:

Could somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about the proper steps to
take to upgrade my MySQL from 3.32.56 to 4.0.13 on my RedHat 9 development
box. I should note that I have Apache 1.3.27 with PHP 4.3.2 as a DSO.

1) shut down mysql and httpd

2) I have Mysql client and server installed as RedHat RPMs. Remove these
with rpm --erase ... after backing up data.

3) install MySQL according to
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Installing_binary.html including
post-installation setup

4) rebuild PHP with ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql
[--with-other-stuff etc]

followed by make; make install

5) my httpd.conf has been working fine; leave it alone

6) restart httpd and mysql

7) crack open a beer

Right?

Gratefully,