[nycphp-talk] Secure Data

Analysis & Solutions danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Thu Jul 17 11:39:43 EDT 2003

Hi Rudy:

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 11:17:12AM -0400, Rudy Gamberini wrote:

> I've used MD5 hash function to encrypt passwords I store in cookies

This is a BAD idea for security.  This permits hijacking through someone
sneaking time at the person's computer, a cross-site scripting
vulnerability or exploitation of browser bugs.

> but that approach would not work here.  I need to hold the key locally,
> meaning on a machine outside the web-server that will be able to decrypt the
> information after retrieving it.

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ref.mcrypt.php

--Dan

--
     FREE scripts that make web and database programming easier
           http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/software/