[nycphp-talk] Anyway to force a download of GIF file?

DeWitt, Michael mjdewitt at alexcommgrp.com
Thu Jul 17 14:23:19 EDT 2003

Chris/Jerry,

Thank you both for your suggestions.  Using headers is definitely the way to
go.  After some playing around and reading up on compatibility issues, here
is what I am working with so far:

<?php

header("Pragma: public");
header('Cache-Control: public');
header("Content-type: 'application/octet-stream");
header("Content-Length: ".filesize($FILE_PATH.$file));
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=$file");
//echo "\\n";
readfile($FILE_PATH.$file);

?>

The Pragma and cache-control seem to be needed by IE6 in order to work.  the
content type "image/gif" gave me some issues where the file was downloaded
but corrupted.  This stuff is completely ignored (broken) by IE on a
Macintosh, It will always just display the file.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Mike