[nycphp-talk] apache 2.0.x and prefork

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Fri Jul 25 19:29:41 EDT 2003

John Lacey wrote:

> Hi
>
> Am looking for input on whether you folks think running apache 2.0.x
> with the prefork mpm is safe with regard to PHP

Safe... on Linux yes; FreeBSD, no.  Production quality on either; no  :)

> I realize that if I run 1.3.x I'll be golden, but am curious if anyone's
> had problems with 2.0 in 'prefork mode'

Using a server (in near-production) with Apache2 in prefork on RedHat, things carried along well.  There were, however, occasionly strange problems, and although I couldn't pin them down exactly, when we went to full-production, we haven't seen these issues at all with Apache 1.3.x.  I know that's a weighted response, however, so the problems could have been due to a number of things that changed between the deployments.