[nycphp-talk] NYPHP: Oracle Developer Days

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Wed Jul 30 14:34:46 EDT 2003

Good day,

As many have probably seen, New York PHP is organizing a day trip out to New Brunswick Hyatt (was: Edison) to attend Oracle Developer Days (ODD).  I hope to cover some of the details of our plan, and hear any suggestions and ideas.

First, what is ODD?  http://nyphp.org/eodd redirects to Oracle's monsterous URL for complete details.  Briefly, however, it's a series of workshops, focusing on Linux/RedHat, Java, Open Source, and ofcourse Oracle.  And this year, PHP is included as a workshop.  They're fairly technical, and it should be a very interesting series of programs.  Registration is free, but they say that space is limited, so please register early if you plan on attending.

As I've mentioned before, ODD happens 8/8/03 and is an all day event (8am-5pm).  So far, our plan is take NJ Transit out to New Brunswick, from Penn Station, and walk to the Hyatt hotel, which is only a couple of blocks as I understand it.  Briefly:

-- Meet at Penn Station (exact location TBD) by 6:30am to catch the 7:03 train to New Brunswick (Northeast Corridor Line).
-- [ ride on the train, walk to the Hyatt, attend the conference, walk back to the train station ]  :)
-- Meet at the Hyatt lobby by 6:00 to catch the 6:21pm train back to Penn Station.

Of course, I don't get out to NJ too much, so people familiar with this commute are welcomed to streamline it and cover things I'm probably missing :)

Useful NJ Transit links:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/r0070.pdf
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/Rail_Map_04_2003.pdf

If you do plan on attending, and either meeting us there or commuting with us, let the list know.  We will wait for people before heading out, or coming back, so please contact us if you have a change of plans at the last minute (cellphones work well for this).  Maybe we should get name tags made? :)

So, that's basically it.  It should be a lot of fun, and since the conference is focused for developers, and not sales departments, I'm quite anxious to see what they have.

Hans Zaunere
President, New York PHP
hans at nyphp.org