[nycphp-talk] CPanel Alternatives

Andrew Yochum andrew at digitalpulp.com
Thu Jun 5 11:58:04 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 01:01:15AM -0400, Donald J. Organ IV wrote:
> Does anyone know fo any CPanel Alternatives, maybe even some free ones or
> just even a place that may offer a tutorial on how to start making something
> like CPanel?

There are a few alternatives, but IMO, CPanel is the best of all evils.  It is
not perfect, nor cheap, but it does a better job at shared hosting than
everything else I've used (from a admin and end-user perspective).

Some of the others off the top of my head:
    web://cp (Open Source) http://webcp.can-host.com/
    Webmin (Open Source) http://www.webmin.com/
    Plesk (Commercial) http://www.plesk.com/
    H-Sphere (Commercial) http://www.psoft.net/
    Ensim (Commercial) http://www.ensim.com/

As far as roll-your-own, the general idea is that you are automating
system-administration tasks with a web-based GUI, so I'd imagine books like
"Perl for System Administration" (O'Reilly) would be of use.

--
Andrew Yochum
Digital Pulp, Inc.
andrew at digitalpulp.com