[nycphp-talk] Crypt issue??

Analysis & Solutions danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Sat Jun 7 12:48:46 EDT 2003

Jeff:

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 10:39:38PM -0400, Jeff wrote:

> What's the advantage of MD5 vis-a-vis crypt?

More fool proof.  You might mistakenly use different salts.  Or you might
use different algorithm types.  Also, moving to different computer can
change the algorithm, thus altering output.  Then, only the first eight
characters of input are used, throwing away the value of long passwords.
Finally, it seems due to the length of the output, md5 is better at
producing unique results.

Enjoy,

--Dan

--
     FREE scripts that make web and database programming easier
           http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/software/