[nycphp-talk] setting up AMP w/ RH 9.0

D C Krook dkrook at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 16 09:38:27 EDT 2003

David,

If you're still having trouble or want to give it another try, here are some
instructions I put together a couple of weeks ago for some coworkers.

It was put together on a clean workstation build of RH 9.  It's not
particularly pretty, but it worked for our purposes:

RedHat 9.0

I. Download and compile - if necessary - Apache, MySQL, and PHP.

	1. Download Apache 1.3.27 source to '/usr/local' and compile. (current
version: 1.3.27)
	   http://apache.org/dist/httpd/
	    shell> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-module=most
--enable-shared=max
	    shell> make
	    shell> make install
	    shell> /user/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

	2. Install binary version of 4.0.12 MySQL. (current version: 4.0.12)
	   http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-4.0.html
	   Change to the '/usr/local' directory and extract the MySQL tar.gz into
this directory.
	   Then create a symbolic link to it like so:
	   'ln -s mysql-standard-4.0.12-pc-linux-i686 mysql'

	   Now, change to the '/usr/local/mysql' directory and run the following
commands:
		shell> groupadd mysql
		shell> useradd -g mysql mysql
		shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
		shell> chown -R root  .
		shell> chown -R mysql data
		shell> chgrp -R mysql .
		shell> bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &

	3. Download PHP 4.3.x source to '/usr/local' and compile. (current version:
4.3.1)
	   http://php.net/downloads.php
	   Use the following build flags:
	   shell> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs --enable-inline-optimization
--enable-magic-quotes --enable-track-vars --enable-bcmath
--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql --with-xml
	   shell> make
	   shell> make install

	4. Configure Apache and PHP:
	   Open up '/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf' and add the following lines:
	   LoadModule php4_module        libexec/libphp4.so
	   AddModule mod_php4.c
	   AddType application/x-httpd-php .php