[nycphp-talk] Regex Coach

Mark Armendariz nyphp at enobrev.com
Mon Jun 30 10:04:33 EDT 2003

The email validation thread reminded me, This fee lil app was recently
reccommended to me http://weitz.de/regex-coach/

It's a TRUE life saver when it comes to complex regex...

Here's a blurb from the link:
----------------------------------
The Regex Coach is a graphical application for Linux and Windows which
can be used to experiment with (Perl-compatible) regular expressions
interactively. It has the following features:

It shows whether a regular expression matches a particular target
string.
It can also show which parts of the target string correspond to captured
register groups or to arbitrary parts of the regular expression.
It can "walk" through the target string one match at a time.
It can simulate Perl's split and s/// (substitution) operators.
It tries to describe the regular expression in plain English.
It can show a graphical representation of the regular expression's parse
tree.
It can single-step through the matching process as performed by the
regex engine.
Everything happens in "real time", i.e. as soon as you make a change
somewhere in the application all other parts are instantly updated.

(I'm in no way affiliated with the developer, just thought I'd pass
along the great tool)

Mark