[nycphp-talk] Cool new feature on php.net

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 12:14:51 EST 2003

--- Adam Fields <fields at surgam.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 01:47:26PM -0500, Jon Baer wrote:
> > I wish they had this for every language :-)
> >
> > So apparently you can just append the function in the request and it will
> use your Language-Accept header to return the manual page for the requested
> function ... pretty handy ...
> >
> > http://www.php.net/mysql_connect
> > http://www.php.net/md5
> > http://www.php.net/strstr
>
> Cool, yes.

Well, somewhat cool IMHO.

> Not new - they've been doing this for quite some time now.

Yeah, certainly not new.

The reason I said somewhat cool is because when you implement this
ErrorDocument bit on your own server, you get swamped with error logs (which
I have been unable to turn off - please correct me otherwise).  It is nice
functionality for the user, however.

The "right" way to implement this type of thing is with mod_rewrite or, even
better, apache_hooks, which I'm anxious to get my "hooks" into.  Albeit, not
as portable.