[nycphp-talk] What is $QUERY_STRING ?

David Sklar sklar at sklar.com
Tue Mar 11 11:26:11 EST 2003

$QUERY_STRING is the stuff after the "?" in a GET URL:

http://www.example.com/cart.php?item=cereal&quantity=56

$QUERY_STRING (or $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']) is "item=cereal&quantity=56".

It doesn't have to be key/value pairs:

http://www.example.com/cart.php?buy

$QUERY_STRING is "buy".

You didn't see it in the form you used below because the method was POST.
Change it to GET and watch the query string bloom.

David