[nycphp-talk] installing PHP extensions

Hans Zaunere zaunere at
Sat Mar 15 14:24:55 EST 2003

--- Matthew Zimmerman <mz34 at> wrote:
> Here I am again with the naive newbie questions:)
> When I come across a PHP extension that I would like to use do I always
> have to reconfigure PHP?

For production systems, I would.

> I want to use some PHP XSLT functions on either my Red Hat Linux or
> MacOSX box:
> and the install instructions say to run configure with such and such
> options.
> If I do this, do I have to include all the other options for other
> extensions and settings? Will all the configure options be reset if I
> only run configure with the options of installing the XSLT extension?

Yeah, you'll need to specify all other configure options.  For some
extensions, I think you could do something like:

./configure --enable-xslt --with-xslt-sablot=shared,/path/to/sablot

then dl() the shared object file.  However, I'm not sure how well this is
supported, and I think it's generally recommended to compile PHP with the
extensions you want from the start.