Special Characters between Platforms

Jim Musil jim at nettmedia.com
Mon Mar 31 18:46:42 EST 2003

Hi,

I've got an intranet I've inherited in which the users are entering data
into a web form from both Mac and Windows.

This data is sent to php scripts and mysql DB running on a Windows Server.

The data is then exported as a text file back to both Macs and PCs for
importing into Quark.

My question is how do I possibly deal with all the special characters that
people are entering? I'm talking about letters with umlauts, accents, "smart
quotes", emdashes, endashes, etc. The codes for these characters are
different on each OS and they keep getting mangled.

Any experience with this problem?

--
James Musil
Senior Developer