[nycphp-talk] Masking Emails and Avoiding Spam - OOPS

Jeff jsiegel1 at optonline.net
Thu May 1 19:52:15 EDT 2003

This is slightly off-topic but...in light of the discussion...I thought
I'd raise the issue. I'm interested in hearing other peoples views.

This morning I received a phone call from one of my clients who "might"
be considered a spammer. He's a headhunter who sends out job offers to a
very select group of people (about 10,000 people worldwide). All his job
offers are legitimate (he's been doing this since the early days of
email and has placed people in some very high-paying positions around
the globe). He does *not* hide who he is; he does *not* use a
non-existent email account; he does *not* use a non-existent web
address. Since his is *not* an opt-in list...as soon as someone says
"Remove Me" he removes them from his list. However...now he's getting
worried. When he sends emails to potential candidates that have an MSN
address...the emails get bounced back.

Again, let me emphasize that all his job offers are legitimate. They can
be viewed at his website (he hides the name of the employer and salary
range since...as a headhunter...he doesn't want anyone doing an end run
around him. However...he also has "entry-level" jobs for students and
does not make any money on those...he offers them as a "service" to the
industry).

The point is that my client is panicking. He's worried he'll be put out
of business now that AOL, MSN, et al., are talking about ways to deal
with spam.

I'm interested to hear what others may think about this particular
situation.

Jeff