[nycphp-talk] Masking Emails and Avoiding Spam - OOPS

Jeff jsiegel1 at optonline.net
Thu May 1 20:12:44 EDT 2003

Ed,

I agree with you but up to a point. Is all unsolicited commercial email
necessarily spam?

Nearly all the spam I've received has come from spammers who go to great
lengths to hide their true identity. You go to the website referred to
in their email and there is nothing there. When there *is* a website,
they offer no contact information other than a form-to-mail page.

So is there a difference between the spammer who hides who he is and the
spammer who is upfront and honest about who he is? I, for one, am not
sure what the right answer is to this question. (And believe me...I am
as plagued by spam as everyone else...I average 100 UCEs per day.)

Jeff