[nycphp-talk] gnubie questions regarding working with form contents...

Greg Wilson greg at mbwpartners.net
Thu May 1 22:38:08 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 22:21, Joshua S. Freeman wrote:
> I have a page with PHP doing the following things so far:
>
> 1) if NOT submitting, then display a form.
>
> 2) if submitting, echo the contents of the submission and insert into the
> values into a database.
>
> The insert statement is working just fine.
>
> I'm having some problems with the echoing of the contents to the page.
>

> Here is the echo statement I'm using to echo the inserted values:
>
> ----------snip------------
>
> while (list($name, $value) = each($HTTP_POST_VARS)) {
>
>     echo "$name = $value<br>.\
";

> ----------snip------------
>

> problem number one is:  I forgot how to do that using 'foreach' instead of
> while()  each()...

try:
foreach ($arr as $key => $value) {
    echo "Key: $key; Value: $value<br>\
";
}

"

> statement.
>
> In other words, in addition to showing the submitter the values of his/her
> submission, s/he's also seeing that 'submit=submit' is a value too...

before your foreach:
unset ($HTTP_POST_VARS['submit']);
this will pull it out of the array

> The next problem is that I need to take the submitted name/value pairs and
> format and send an email with them to one email address... I have no idea
> how do that though I know it involves $HTTP_POST_VARS again...

change the foreach statement above to:
foreach ($arr as $key => $value) {
    echo "Key: $key; Value: $value<br>\
";
    $message .= "Key: $key; Value: $value<br>\
";
}

and then use the mail function, something like:
mail($contactemail, $subject, $message, $headers);
to send the values.

> I want to do this all on one page.
>
> Any help/pointers appreciated!

hope that helps!