[nycphp-talk] Why Smarty?

Emmanuel. M. Decarie emm at scriptdigital.com
Mon May 5 18:31:25 EDT 2003

>Emmanuel,
>
>	Smarty is pure MVC...
>
>	The business logic model is completely in the programmers hands (me)
>and  can be passed off design to people who like to make pretty pictures...
>with the caveat that they get the Smarty template logic to make repetative
>stuff like tables easy without diving into the complexity of a full blown
>language.
>
>	Smarty is the go-between Controller with a built in debugger.
>
>	I can support thousands more pages now that I don't have to think
>about layout or coach designers through script code.
>
>	If you maintain a small site and enjoy layout detail yourself then
>this tool is still cool but probably unnecessary...

But as I said, I implement the MVC model without Smarty for clients
that will tell  their designers to modify the design of the view. In
this case, beside using {} instead of <?php ?>, I really don't see
the advantage.

I don't have Dreamweaver, but I know that <?php ?> is flagged as a
tag, and I'm not sure if this is the case with {}.

Cheers
-Emmanuel