[nycphp-talk] Looking for a PHP equivalent to Perl Text::Template

Chris Snyder chris at psydeshow.org
Mon May 5 18:40:38 EDT 2003

Emmanuel. M. Decarie wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm looking to a PHP equivalent to the Perl module Text::Template.
>
>I was perusing the Smarty documentation, but, maybe I missed
>something, but it doesn't look that I can use  it the in same way.
>
>What I want to do is to assign the result of parsing the template to
>a variable. This is very convenient for example when you need to send
>email.

>Perl example:
>
>Dear {$title} {$lastname},
>It has come to our attention that you are delinquent in your
>         {$monthname[$last_paid_month]} payment.  Please remit
>         ${sprintf("%.2f", $amount)} immediately, or your patellae may
>         be needlessly endangered.
>Love,
>Mark "Vizopteryx" Dominus

You could do essentially this by bringing the template into your
controlling script and eval()'ing it -- something like:

$template= file_get_contents("/path/to/template.html");
$command= "\\$output= \\"$template\\";";
eval($command);
print $output;

You couldn't pull off the sprintf() call in the middle of that, but
everything else will work. You don't even need the curly brackets.

    chris.