[nycphp-talk] XML Query story

Malcolm, Gary gmalcolm at professionalcredit.com
Tue May 6 19:27:22 EDT 2003

there is great benefit to xml because the mark-up can give the data
*meaningful and relational labels*

if I give a schema or DTD(the xml rules im playing with) to a business
partner s/he can write an XSLT(translator) to use the information in a
variety of formats
independent of connectivity or output source
ie.,
<pre>
<sender>
	<name> gary</name>
	<job>hacker</job>
</sender>

parsed to

or

Gary is a hacker

or *spoken*
</pre>

once your backend is up the parsing and verifying of good data is TOTALLY
left to our silicon friends.

besides... quite a few db's now store xml natively (Apache Xindice)
http://xml.apache.org/xindice/

pretty cool