[nycphp-talk] MySQL WHERE clause question

DeWitt, Michael mjdewitt at alexcommgrp.com
Fri May 9 10:38:45 EDT 2003

Pinyo,

Yes, I believe it is slower, but it's harder to say if it matters. For me,
on my sites, I don't notice it just as it hard to notice the difference, for
example, between 0.1 sec and 0.3 seconds.

The value it brings in handling string searches sanely is worth it.  It
seems that the SQL language was never constructed for these kinds of queries
and the LIKE operator can only do so much.

The "hairy" aspect of this issue is writing the parser that constructs the
query to do the searching. Which columns, noise words, phrases, word rooting
and logical combinations of words and phrases are some of the aspects that
have to be addressed (or not, you can always punt).

Mike