[nycphp-talk] IIS: $_SERVER & referer

Emmanuel. M. Decarie emm at scriptdigital.com
Mon May 12 18:52:22 EDT 2003

Hello Hans,

>What about getenv('PHP_SELF');

Didn't think of this, but its not working too.

>  or print_r($_SERVER); or var_dump($_SERVER);
>any sign of PHP_SELF?

Nope, I have tried all that, and it always return an empty array.

>  > I can ask the client to make modifications to the server php.ini and
>>  I was wondering if there is something to do there.
>>
>>  I had a look here, but don't see any answers.
>>
><http://www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.php#reserved.variables.server>
>
>Perhaps a variables_order issue?

Hmm, not sure I understand what you are saying here.  Do you mean
that I have to add 'E' to the variables_order. Is the environment is
somehow related? The PHP says that its better not to set 'E' for
optimal performance.

>  > The CGI Environment Variables defined on the following page doesn't
>>  seems to list a way to get the referer so I don't see how I could use
>>  getenv for that.
>>  <http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi/env.html>
>
>The referer should be set; that is if the browser sent it previously.  I'm on
>shakey ground here with IIS, but perhaps an upgrade of PHP (especially
>concerning IIS, as I think there's been a lot of improvements in the
>multithreaded environments).  A check that IIS isn't configured strangely,
>too?

Well, I think an upgrade of PHP is out of the question. I don't have
any control on the server, and the sysop is extra cautious. And for
IIS, I don't know what to say because my knowledge of this beast is
almost zero. I wish they ran PHP on Linux or FreeBSD.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Cheers
-Emmanuel