[nycphp-talk] form confusion...

gadhra bfeqx44002 at sneakemail.com
Wed May 14 15:23:10 EDT 2003

Hi Joshua,

The structural stability field should hold a number (1-x).  For
checkboxes, I usually just add yn columns.

So, as an example, your table might have the following fields:

id (mediumint 5)
txtImageName (tinytext)
intStability (tinyint 1)
ynStorageSupport (tinyint 1)
ynInsectActivity (tinyint 1)

The intStability field can hold numbers corresponding to the activity (1
for "stable", 2 for "slightly stable", etc.). The yn fields hold either
a 0 or a 1 - with checkboxes, either something is true (checked) or it's
false (not checked).

I can very quickly query the table at this point to get the information
I need (for image 2, what was the level of its stability?  was there
insect activity? was there adequate storage support?)

Be careful in naming, of course - the word "inadequate" can create a
double-negative connotation if you use ynInadequateSupport (which is why
I chose ynStorageSupport instead of its negative).

Hope that helps,

+gadhra+