[nycphp-talk] MySQL security

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Sun May 18 13:20:52 EDT 2003

--- John Adair <jadair at adairservices.net> wrote:
> I can't seem to find my my.cnf file.  I know mysql is up and running.
> phpmyadmin can access it and all.  How do I figure out where the my.cnf
> file (if by another name) is the actual configuration file in use.

It can be a bit tricky, and really depends on your OS and how MySQL was
setup.  If you used a RedHat RPM, for instance, then my.cnf should be in
/etc.  If not, you just need to create one there.  If you've compiled from
source or installed the binary package mysql.com then my.cnf isn't created by
default so you can just create it in either /etc/ or in your data directory.
If this is Windows, sorry, I have no idea :)  (but typically, you can create
the my.cnf in your data directory and it'll get picked up).

> Do you have any other security advice?

Well, for instance, if you're setting up a shared server, where multiple
people will have DBs, some of the privacy/etc settings are nice
(http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Privileges_options.html).  And, in general, just
be diligent with giving permissions, trying to the most restrictive and
becoming more lenient from there.