[nycphp-talk] are enums verboten?

Analysis & Solutions danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Mon May 19 22:08:09 EDT 2003

Hi Joshua:

I'd second Hans' motion to normalize the data.  First, because it allows
adding, editing, deleting categories throughout the database by adjusting
the values in one field, rather than having to issue several ALTER TABLE
queries.  Second, it allows long term portability of your schema to other
database management systems.

Considering your setup, I'd use a char(1) field so you can quickly make
sense out of the abbreviated value when viewing the output from the main
table.

--Dan

--
     FREE scripts that make web and database programming easier
           http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/software/