Closing ?> tag

D C Krook dkrook at hotmail.com
Tue May 20 13:40:52 EDT 2003

Greetings,

I noticed at Zeev's demo of the Zend Studio that he tended to leave off the
end ?> tag when writing up sample code.

In the phpComponents documentation (http://pcoms.net/submit.php), Hans
advises leaving it off:

"Layout: The first line of pCom source should only contain <?php the full
opening PHP tag. Closing PHP tags must not be used...The full opening PHP
tag <?php should always be used, where as closing tags should never be
used."

On the other hand, Sterling strongly advises that it not be left off
(http://lists.php.net/article.php?group=php.lang&article=403):

"I definitely think that _you_ should do it."

Is there any rationale for leaving it off?  Style? Performance?  Ensuring
that you're keeping logic separate from presentation templates?

Thanks for any thoughts,
-Dan

Daniel Christer Krook
http://krook.net/ || http://krook.info/