Wow, I feel so stupid Re: [nycphp-talk] $_POST

Jeff jsiegel1 at optonline.net
Sun May 25 08:02:07 EDT 2003

I was in your position - as a fresh newbie - almost 6 months ago. Now
I'm a "seasoned" newbie. ;)

Here's the list of references that have helped me:

1. "PHP/MySQL for Dummies" - yes...kinda basic but when you're a newbie
it'll get you up and running. It  has some of the elementary stuff
explained quite nicely. I installed Apache/PHP/MySQL on my Win2000
server using the CDROM provided with the book (installation was
painless) and that helped me get a little comfortable with these
applications before I made the jump to Linux.

2. "PHP Functions: Essential Reference" from New Riders Publications.
Has a gazillion PHP functions listed by "area," i.e., string-related
functions, MySQL related functions, and so on. Many of the entries have
little code snippets, cross-references to related functions, etc.

3. For MySQL, I use "MySQL" by Paul DuBois, the second edition.

For online stuff I've found the following to be helpful:

1. http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorial_index.php
2. http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/index.phtml/fid/51/
3. http://www.developer.com/lang/php/
4. Of course, http://www.php.net/ and http://www.mysql.com