[nycphp-talk] Sequenced Sessions WAS: Merging/reissuing sessions ...

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Fri Nov 7 18:39:09 EST 2003

Chris Shiflett wrote:

> --- Hans Zaunere <hans at nyphp.org> wrote:
>
>>I had written a session scheme that uses syn/ack numbers just like
>>TCP does.
>>
>>I never really finished it but I have some more klunky code if you
>>want to see it.
>

> I'm not sure if I want to dig through "klunky" code, but I'd be
> interested in hearing a description of your approach. :-)

I've been meaning to clean it up and seperate it out into it's own PCOM, which I've begun to do at:

http://posit.nyphp.org/~praxis/pas/

It's basically modeled after TCP sequence numbers.  However, unlike a true TCP/IP connection between two systems, a browser-server relationship is one sided.  That is to say, the client (browser) can't maintain it's own sequence numbers.  This means that my sequenced sessions implementation is probably a bit weaker than the true TCP/IP scheme.  Details of TCP/IP are in sections 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4. of http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc793.html

I've honestly just thrown the code together, but I'm curious if people can break it.  It should be able to detect when a session becomes out of sync, and I'd love to hear ideas for making it better, or ways it can be broken - and even if in fact it works at all :)

Hans