[nycphp-talk] PHP dominance on websites (Information Week article)

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Thu Nov 13 11:52:12 EST 2003

Chris Shiflett wrote:
> --- jon baer <jonbaer at jonbaer.net> wrote:
>
>>yeah but if you look a large majority of jobs *still* call for MS
>>.Net/c# and Java which is what i don't get, is there that big of a
>>non published defection?
>

> Adam, Dave, and I spoke on a PHP Panel recently for a bunch of CEO and CTO
> type people. It was pretty revealing to me, because most of these people
> considered themselves to be way ahead of the curve by being interested in
> PHP, and it was as if PHP was considered bleeding-edge technology.

On a similar note, I recently attended a Novell Linux semimar populated
primarily with technical people.  I sat in my usual place in the back
where I could see "the show of hands".  It was interesting that out of
more than 150 people, less than 5 raised their hands when asked who knew
about things like the Mono project and the Evolution package, and
others.  The ingredient Novell brings to the table is marketing -- and
along with it, decent product naming skills :)  I could site examples,
but it's pointless...