[nycphp-talk] Failure to write session data

Jeff Siegel jsiegel1 at optonline.net
Wed Nov 19 07:05:24 EST 2003

Plenty of disk space and all permissions are set correctly.
Let me also add that this seems to be an intermittent problem and not
one that is tied to, say, a browser version issue. It can happen if
someone is using a very old browser version or a new one but it is *not*
easily reproducible in either case.

One of the Googled solutions mentioned setting up a new tmp directory.
However, my guess is that the directory would not accomplish anything (I
would think) since all permissions are already set correctly on the
server and there is a lot of disk space.

Someone did write (again, this comes from my Googling) that this seems
to happen "under load" though the writer was not particularly helpful in
defining "under load." It should be noted, however, that the server has
DEFINITELY experienced an increase in hits since the average number of
transactions through the site has nearly doubled in the past two days
from approximately 500 per day to a bit over 900 per day. So...that
translates to 900 or so session files per day with the bulk of them
happening between the hours of 6am and 10pm. Just seems like a lot of
session files in a short period of time.