[nycphp-talk] Hello / Geo coords

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Thu Nov 20 22:39:59 EST 2003

Hey Folks:

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 03:33:34PM -0500, Hans Zaunere wrote:

> Dealing with lat/long is fairly straightforward... just a series of
> mathematical equations and you can generate distances.

I think his main question was where to get the geocoded data.

> Also, there are loads of zipcode calculation
> libs out there, which work on basically the same principal... actually,
> just using zipcodes might be easier  :)

Ding!  That reminds me, there are some vendors/libraries out there where
you can obtain tables that map zip codes centroids to lat/long data.

I even have a table of zipcode, state, postoffice, latitude, longitude.  I
don't feel like looking at my notes as to the source, but if you want it,
you can have it.

Enjoy,

--Dan

--
     FREE scripts that make web and database programming easier
           http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/software/