[nycphp-talk] handling forms (relative newbie)

Daniel J Cain Jr. dan at cain.sh
Sat Oct 4 15:04:07 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 14:27, Chris Shiflett wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > session_start();
> > session_register('first_name','last_name',etc.,etc.many more fields to
> > follow...);
>
> You can forget the session register and use $_SESSION instead:

As an added note to forgetting session_register().  This caution is
listed at http://www.php.net/session_register :

"If you are using $_SESSION (or $HTTP_SESSION_VARS), do not use
session_register(), session_is_registered(), and session_unregister()."

I don't know the specific reason for sure.  But I seem to recall having
unexpected results from mixing the two 'methods' on projects in the past
(legacy code that existed prior to $_SESSION in PHP).

The issues I ran across may be attributed to PHP bugs at the version
level I was using at the time.  But in case its still on going just
passing along a word of caution.