[nycphp-talk] List postings WAS: Best host for oscommerce package?

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Fri Oct 17 15:52:09 EDT 2003

Not to rekindle a thread that has died gracefully, or painfully depending on your viewpoint, but I think it raises some important points.

Preston-Campbell wrote:
> This is my new sig
>
> Try delete for those items that do not interest you.(tm)
>
> If only it applied to more things in life...
>
> On Friday 17 October 2003 11:06 am, Chris Snyder wrote:
>
>>Happy Friday everyone!
>>Pining for <unthread> command, aka unsub-from-thread...

For those that missed our prior dev meeting, we're going to be working on a mailing list system that will enable people to unsubscribe from particular threads and resubscribe to them at a later point.  It will also have an interactive archive, ie forum, so people will be able to have essentially the same flexibility and functionality of forums and mailing lists, and new features realized by the combination of the two, including an interface of their choice.

>>Preston-Campbell wrote:
>>
>>>Try delete for those items that do not interest you.

Until technology solves all of our problems, however, simply deleting messages is something some of us may take for granted.  We've received feedback from NYPHP-Talk subscribers, both past and present, that the list can have heavy traffic.  While email filtering can alleviate much of this, some email clients, providers or users don't provide/utilize it, and there's still reason for concise, complete and well-formed postings.

Perhaps it was more a shove than a nudge, or perhaps the messages began to get a bit back-and-forth.  Whatever the case, people should not hesitate to ask questions on the list, nor at the same time be afraid to rebut.  And, for those with suggestions on making the lists more useful or to help draft some guidelines, swing over to NYPHP-Dev at http://nyphp.org/lists

NYPHP-Dev, where deleting is a way of life :)