[nycphp-talk] TAR and permissions

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Sun Oct 26 09:00:41 EST 2003

Marc,

I am sorry I can't help you.

After I read your post, though, something didn't seem right.
I thought I could remember something about tar preserves the
ownership of files --
Unless you tell it not to (with --owner=user  option)
So I searched the web for my own benefit ("tar file
ownership")

I found the following:
Package: tar
Version: 1.11.8
Revision: 1

The session below demonstrates a NASTY bug in tar.  Tar does
not
restore ownership of files.  I tried -p, --preserve,
--same-owner,
etc., and nothing worked.  I verified that my passwd file
was alright.
The clincher was when I ftp'ed the latest slackware tar from
friend's machine and tried it.  Slackware's tar worked just
fine...
At
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/1996/debian-devel-19960
1/msg00411.html

Now I am not suggesting that this is the answer to you
situation.
I am pretty sure its something a lot simpler.

But as you can see in the correspondence above it was very
specific about the
Version of the software.

That reminded me of the fact that it is always a good idea
to mention the release version
Of the software you are discussing.

Hope you find your answer(soon).

Regards,