[nycphp-talk] Handling MySQL result sets

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Thu Oct 30 10:33:39 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Michael Myers wrote:

> Size of the data structure might also be an issue, but I'm so
> new to MySQL and PHP I don't have an empirical sense of how fast it can
> be.

They're pretty fast. :) Well, it depends upon your machine and your traffic.

> I'm anxious to get this first project working!

In that case, I am always an advocate of doing the simplest thing
possible and then optimizing later if need be. Writing the JOIN and
retrieving the redundant data simplifies your PHP and will get you
going. If you later decide that this is a bottleneck, then you can
improve this piece of the code at that time.

Don't waste your time trying to "fix" something that isn't necessarily broken.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!