[nycphp-talk] Food for Thought (Microsoft @ PHPCon)

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Thu Oct 30 10:34:18 EST 2003

--- David Sklar <sklar at sklar.com> wrote:
> I think some of this comes down to:
>
> Will PHP 6 (or 7 or whatever) be based on this:
>
> http://www.akbkhome.com/Projects/PHP_Sharp
>
> or this:
>
> http://www.edwardbear.org/pap.pdf

Personally, I think Parrot is very interesting, and the idea of PHP running on
top of Parrot and being a fast enough language that software traditionally
written in C can be written in PHP (without too many people laughing at you) is
pretty cool.

Also, at OSCON, I understood what the heck .NET was for the first time when
someone explained that it was sort of like Parrot. I think Larry Wall explained
Parrot better in 10 minutes than anyone has been able to explain .NET in a few
years.

Interesting stuff.

Chris

=====