[nycphp-talk] Force File Download HTTP Headers and IE Issue

Marc Antony Vose suzerain at suzerain.com
Wed Sep 3 16:31:44 EDT 2003

I may be wrong, but I think the only reason you're seeing the save
as... dialog in Netscape is because the Adobe Acrobat web browser
plugin doesn't run in Netscape anymore.  AFAIK (and according to the
system requirements), Acrobat seems to be implemented in ActiveX now,
which will only work (on Windows) in IE.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrsystemreqs.html#60win

So what I'm saying is that your script isn't what's controlling this;
if the plugin was functioning in Netscape, NS would display it
inline, too.

To illustrate this, forget about PDF for a second, and pretend it's a
JPEG.  Try forcing a download of a JPEG.  I don't believe you can do
it, because the client-side browser controls how it will handle JPEGs
(i.e., whether it will display inline or send to another viewer).

Of course, as I said, I may be wrong.  :)

Marc Antony Vose
http://www.suzerain.com/

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression.
-- W.E.B. Du Bois