[nycphp-talk] Travelocity sucks (semi-OT)

Christopher Hendry chendry at nyc.rr.com
Tue Sep 9 13:31:57 EDT 2003

unfortunately, the problem comes in with the cost of the searches.  There
are multiple levels of searches available to the Travelocities of the
world - the most expensive being the up-to-the-minute fares.  If they
provided each person casually browsing for flights the up-to-the-minute
prices, they'd go out of business.  These sites only see about a 1%
conversion.

What you're seeing when you first search is not avialable fares, but cached
fares (a much cheaper search .00066 compared with .05 - or something like
that) - the travel sites will not show you the available fares until you say
you'd like to book.

That said, not all engines use the Sabre GDS (though most do) - which is the
one that charges the most for look-for-book fares - so try other sites and
you should get better results.  Though Sabre is the only GDS that offers
webfares (ie, better rates on the web than available through travel agents).

ps - one of the sites (to remain unnamed) has hired some of us NYPHPers and
once the backend is complete, I'll be sure to release the site (and
hopefully friends & family rates) to NYPHPers, so keep your chin up, help is
on the way...