[nycphp-talk] PHP Excel Parser

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Tue Sep 9 23:00:22 EDT 2003

http://www.mont.lib.md.us/branchinfo/map.asp

> Couldn't I just use PHP's COM objects to parse the Excel spreadsheet
> instead?

I believe that in order for you to talk to a program using COM you
actually need to have that program on your computer. In any case, that
still seems like a heck of a lot harder than just downloading some
Office clone and exporting as CSV.

However, if you're determined to do this in PHP, this site may have
something that can help:

http://badblue.com/helpphpo.htm

Alternatively, you could download a demo version of this product and
use this function:

> Added MS Excel->MySQL builder. This is plugin (PHP program) - output
> in MySQL database.  This program imports data extracted by ABC Excel
> Parser Pro from an Excel file into a MySQL database table.  There
> are no PHP programming skills required to create MySQL database from
> your Excel file.

http://www.zakkis.ca/products/abc_excelparser/index.php

-adam

PS: I found most of these by typing "PHP Excel" into Google.

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!