[nycphp-talk] can't populate db table with csv - I can't believethis!

Brian Pang bpang at bpang.com
Wed Sep 10 22:32:17 EDT 2003

yes, everything

if the string being enclosed in single quotes contains an apostrophe, or
other instance of a single quote, it will need to be escaped like \'

I think that Hans is recommending using mysql_escape_string() to ensure
that everything is escaped that might need it (like double quotes).

HOWEVER

if your php script is attempting to insert any variables, you will need
to use double quotes in place of the single quote as the encapsulator.

PHP doesn't parse within the single quote.

You would still want to use mysql_escape_string()

I always use double quotes even though it means that values are being
parsed for no reason. It's just easier for me that way and I haven't
(been fortunate enough to have) had a problem with it creating excessive
load, yet.