[nycphp-talk] PHP Magazines

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Tue Sep 23 17:28:53 EDT 2003

--- Nasir Zubair <lists at ny-tech.net> wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting a subscription to PHP Architect. However,
> today I saw PHP Magazine banner on NYPHP.org. Has anyone read this
> magazine? How is it compared to PHP|a?  Also, the price is kinda
> steep, $72 for 6 issues compared to PHP|a's $22 for 12.

I think it is good to support PHP magazines in general, at least while each is
still relatively young. PHP Journal's fall is indicative of the instability
such publications must endure initially. I'm speaking to myself as much as
anyone.

PHP Magazine has always seemed financially instable, but that's just my general
perception (I could be completely wrong). It also seems to be targetted at the
western European audience, which might be why it is so expensive to get it
elsewhere. Still, some good authors have written for it, so I'm sure it is a
quality magazine. I'm going to try and sneak at glance at one of the copies
Hans brings.

php|a seems to be the most successful so far, but I'm not sure if that is due
to better content or being more focused on a worldwide audience. I think
allowing people to buy individual issues as PDFs for very little money has
helped them a lot. They gave me a free subscription back when they first
started, so I've kept up more with it than with PHP Magazine.

I wrote an article on XSS and CSRF for the October issue of php|a. As little as
they pay authors, I figure that counts as supporting them. :-)

Chris

=====
Become a better Web developer with the HTTP Developer's Handbook
http://httphandbook.org/