[nycphp-talk] MERGE tables (MySQL) ...

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Wed Sep 24 15:10:30 EDT 2003

jon baer wrote:

> has anyone been in the situation to use them yet?

Yeah, but never really found them useful enough to implement it fully in production.

I'm not sure what merge tables would buy you in this case, and I'm not sure if all of the functionality you'd need would be available (they have some limitations:  http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/MERGE.html

> do merge tables have any real advantage + could you theoretically merge
> tables securely over IP using these types of tables/files?

AFAIK you can only merge tables locally.  They are primarily used to provide very large, mostly read only/fairly static tables.  But, with newer versions of MySQL, you'd probably want their RAID functionality (http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/CREATE_TABLE.html#IDX1508)

HTH,