[nycphp-talk] Yet another dissatisfied customer...

Phil Powell soazine at erols.com
Tue Sep 30 01:36:37 EDT 2003

...am I cursed?

Another client is threatening to "delete everything" calling my work a "waste of time".  There is, however, one possible sane reason for this, and I need to get some PHP guru advice on how to handle this.

You have ordered one item and placed it into your cart.  Let's say you ordered one small black t-shirt.  Your cart will have the product_id, color_id and size_id for the small black t-shirt.  The quantity of this item is, let's say 30.  You have one in your cart, so how many are available:

1) 29
2) 30

Now let's say that while I ordered one small black t-shirt, Sven ordered 1 small black t-shirt, Anders ordered one black t-shirt, and Olov ordered one black t-shirt.  If all four of us, at one time, are all ordering the same item and putting it into our carts, how many should there be available to us:

1) 26
2) 25
3) 29
4) 30

This is where the contention comes in.  The client wants it done "FIFO" (First In First Out) meaning that whoever gets it first will subtract the quantity - but I dispute that (coming from somewhat of a Java background) that since PHP doesn't so single-threading, that means that all four of us could order t-shirts,  but the quantity has to reflect that all four of us are ordering (multi-threading).

I dunno, help!

Phil