[nycphp-talk] automatic translation

Phillip Powell phillip.powell at adnet-sys.com
Thu Apr 1 13:28:55 EST 2004

Problem with most online translators is that they do "machine-level"
translation, that is, word-for-word translation, which is impossible to
do grammatically correctly from English to Spanish and then from English
to Swedish and from English to Japanese, as each language has its own
grammatical, syntactical and conjugational construct.  Best approach is
a "human-level" translation, where via locale-database marrying allows
for human translators to enter a phrase into a db that would be pulled
according to locale, so that you would have:

English: Hello, how are you?

Into Swedish: Hej hej, hur mår du?

Into Japanese: Ohayo/Konnichiwa/Konbamwa, ikaga desu ka?

Do any of the aforementioned PHP tools do human-level translation,
that's been something I can't find online, just information on
"machine-level" style, which is IMHO a waste of translation.

Phil