[nycphp-talk] ringtones...

Steven Samuel steven at sohh.com
Fri Apr 2 11:18:15 EST 2004

Sorry about that. It was late. I should have been more thorough...

http://www.9squared.com

Essentially, I find that going through them cuts a lot of cost.

1. Customer Service. Sometimes people don't receive their ringtones and
then you have to help them. Depending on the customer, this can take
anywhere from 1 hour to a week before it's determined how to solve the
problem.

2. Licensing. If you do the tones, you have to contact each label and
publishing company to get a license for the songs. You will be paying
royalties per song. I can imagine it would get very techinical if you
were dealing with songs that contain samples because now you have to
contact a third party for music clearance.

One thing I like about 9Squared is that it's seamless. My site is
http://www.sohh.com and my ringtone site is http://ringtones.sohh.com.
9Square took my template and wrap their content into it. (I have to
update it.) On my end, I just send my users e-mails letting them know
that I have new ringtones on my site. 9Squared also sells games and
other things for the cellphones. For the work I put into it (30 minutes
a week), I make a descent buck.